Article by Mark @ Endotherm
By saving energy you just do not make your pocket happy, you also make Mother Nature happy. Yes, the different appliances that you use throughout the day affect nature too in some or other way. Hence, it is necessary that you do something to prevent environmental degradation and what can be better than saving energy. It is beneficial for your pocket as well as for the environment.
Here let’s find out ways that will help in reducing the energy bills and make the environment smile at the same time.
With appliances around the home
By doing simple things with your appliances that you use in your home, you can save energy. Let’s find out ways.
- Always keep the temperature of your freeze in between 3°C and 5°C. The temperature of the freezer should be maintained in between 15°C and -18°C. After this temperature every degree of lower temperature will consume about 5% more energy. Just think of the extra amount you will be paying throughout the year.
- Make sure that the fridge door is sealed properly. To do this you can keep a strip of paper in between the door and the fridge body. If you can take out the paper easily, then consider sealing the fridge again.
- While shopping for a new fridge chooses a 4 star model. It can save about $60 less every year when compared to the 2star rating fridge.
- If you have dishwasher that was manufactured during early 90’s then consider changing it with a new model. Those models use twice water than the latest ones and also consume about 40% more energy. Energy efficient dishwashers are much better
- While using your oven for cooking use the fan forced mode. This will cook food faster than the conventional settings.
- While not using any electrical appliances do not leave them in standby mode. It too consumes electricity. Switch them off or unplug them.
- While buying new appliances make sure you have checked the star rating. The more the star the more energy efficient will be the appliances.
- Use Energy Saving Bulbs
Simple laundry tips
Yes, it is possible to conserve more energy even during cleaning your clothes. How? Read on
- For drying your clothes use a line instead of drying them in dryer. It will help you save a lot throughout the year.
- Of you are thinking for buying a new washing machine then choose one that has a fast spin cycle. If the washing machine has autosensing control that will switch off the machine the moment the clothes are dried choose such machine.
- Choose a machine that has at least 4 stars rating in both water and energy.
- Front load washing machines can do the same work with less water and energy consumption. So you may consider one.
- While ironing, try to complete the whole bunch at the same time. It will save your time and energy that is required for heating and reheating the iron every time.
Yes, just following these simple things you can find that you have made a considerable change in energy consumption of your home.